June 9, 2014

on inspiration



What inspires you? This idea has been coming up for me in various ways as of late. 

To me, there's such a fine line between seeing something and experiencing a feeling of "ooooooh," or "ahhhhh," compared to more of a "I want that," or even, "I can't keep up." To be fair, they can probably be the same sometimes. I just pick up on so much more/bigger/better/faster all around me in our world today, and it exhausts me. Noticing this, and recognizing the need to find new sources of inspiration, is starting to rise to the surface for me. (To be clear, for the sake of this conversation, I'm referring to visual inspiration, which for me as a creative person is such an important piece of life.)


Part of my experience of being a visual person means that my "eye" gets bored very easily. I love pretty things...I crave beauty all around. But the inspiration wears off, with rare exception, when there's less variety. I notice that the effect is actually the opposite - that I feel exhausted - when the promise of visual stimulation exists and then instead, disappoints. For example, I'll visit instagram or pinterest with the hope of something new catching my eye and getting my wheels turning, and don't find it. 


Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's the responsibility of these mediums to feed my creativity. What I'm realizing is that I probably need to seek other sources. I know that for many of us creative types, this is why travel is so satisfying to us…it gives the opportunity to see, take in, experience and be inspired by the different

A few shots from our trip to Merida, Mexico in 2012….






As you've heard from me before, I believe that it's SO important for each person to figure out what it is that hits them at that visceral level - at the place of the "ooooooh" or "ahhhhhh" - and to create it in your home. Start simple, if needed! If natural light is important to you, watch the light entering your home for a few days, and rearrange the furniture to be able to enjoy the light, shadows, warmth, etc. If fresh air does it for you, find or create a reading spot near a window and carve out a few minutes to spend there every day. Light a candle. Frame a meaningful family photo (you can find beautiful frames at thrift stores, if needed!) and place it where it will make you smile every day. Start paying attention to the colors that you react to positively, and then look for ways to bring them into your home. TAKE TIME to create the home you love. Just because everyone else is incorporating a certain item or pattern or style into their home doesn't mean you have to. Start creating a home you can build on and enjoy for years to come.


As for me, I'm on the lookout for new sources of inspiration and would love to hear what works for you! I have some ideas about where to start - I'll keep you posted. :)


If you're interested in working together to make your home a place you love, please contact me at katiegaviganinteriors@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Katie, i am really enjoying your blog and you are inspiring me to do things to make a difference in my home. Love the photos and ideas you share. Monica Koller

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I appreciate you!