January 23, 2013

kitchen art

I've struggled with the wall space above our sink. I've shared previously the idea of adding some open shelving and/or a tile backsplash. My current thought is that once I find the right storage cabinet for our dining room, we may not need the additional dish storage in the kitchen. So holding off on more shelves for now.

In the meantime, I was compelled last week to fill the blank white wall (do you ever have those moments?!). It was an impulsive moment and I just had to use what I had on hand. I had these wicker trays I had picked up at Goodwill a year or two ago, and have used them randomly around the house. Also have this BEAUTIFUL, treasured, pink-rimmed basket from an Ethiopian friend which I use all the time for fruit and such.


I had a vague memory of something I'd seen on pinterest which loosely inspired the idea (although I didn't go back and look at the photo until just now...I'm telling you, I was on a mission :)).


  via my pinterest


I really love it. They're just loosely hanging on nails, so I can easily grab them if I really want to use them...although I'm not sure I'll do that since I'm really enjoying having them on display. So beautiful! I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. They add just the right amount of color and texture to blend well with the tiles - not too much, just enough. Love it!

 those oranges are waiting to be juiced, fyi...we don't eat that many oranges around here! :)

The changes to the sink area inspired me to switch some things around on this nearby wall as well. I picked up this photo at Salvation Army last week (my husband is not sure about it but it really speaks to me...the colors and patterns especially but I don't mind the nice old man!). The Nicaragua bag has moved around the house since our trip in 2010. Yay for decorated white walls - one of my favorite sights! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I appreciate you!