April 2, 2014

some master bedroom updates

Hello! 

If you follow me on instagram, you know that I've been in Michigan for the past week. The main reason for the trip was to work on my new website with my dad (yaaaaayyyy!!!), but of course there was lots of family time as well. (Hoping to launch the website later this Spring :)) It was a great time, and of course it's always good to be back home! Happy to be working away in my office this morning...


I'd love to share some recent updates to our master bedroom. It's not finished, but I'm trying to be better about sharing progress, rather than wanting everything to be perfect. :)

Last Fall, I shared plans for this room, and they haven't changed a whole lot. Over the past couple of months, I've gradually and diligently been working away at this room. It's been neglected far too long, and it feels so awesome to see it finally coming together! It's not finished, but we're getting there. Last fall, we purchased a rug for the room, which was a great jumping off point. Then, over a long weekend in February, I cleared my calendar and painted the room. This was looooong overdue (as in, four years or so!). Ah, the magic of paint.


In the above photo, you can kind of see the old wall color. It was the same as most of our house when we moved in -- a yellow-y cream-ish color which I am not a fan of, especially with the yellow tones in our floors. Sorry I can't find a better 'before' photo, but let's move on to the fun stuff!



These are super inexpensive Ikea sconces, spray painted gold. (I can't find them on the Ikea website, sorry!) This is a FAST, high-reward DIY. I know the visible cords are not for everyone, but honestly, they don't bother me. We previously had lamps on the dresser, and while I loved them, the dresser surface was just too cluttered with all the jewelry. The sconces free up surface space, and double as jewelry storage. I'm happy with this budget solution, at least for now!


Back to the paint color...as you can see, I decided against the lavender which I'd originally planned on. When it comes to our house, I always have a few moments of extreme indecision just before pulling the trigger, and this was no exception. I considered going reaaaallly dark (as in, the darkest charcoal gray or midnight blue)...but in the end decided to keep it light and bright.


This room doesn't have a lot of natural light, so it's tough to capture the true color! It's a very pale green. I wouldn't say mint exactly, although some friends have called it that. :) Either way, it's very pretty. Because it's such a light shade, it acts as a neutral, but has just a little more depth and presence than white. You know I love my white backgrounds, to layer the color and pattern over, but this gives me the flexibility to layer OR keep it a bit cleaner, calmer. For example, the wall that runs next to the bed -- if the walls were white, I think I'd need to hang something there, but this slight bit of color makes it okay to keep it empty, which works better in the space. I like keeping things less maximalist in this room. 


I'm planning to add trim to the roman shades. Haven't found the perfect thing yet, but I'll know it when I see it.


And as planned, the lantern moved from the dining room and I love it in here.


So, as you can see...not quite finished, but huge amounts of progress, and I now love spending time in this space which really is the best reward!

I'd love to work together to make your home all it can be! Email me at katiegaviganinteriors@gmail.com for more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I appreciate you!