April 24, 2014

Living Room Before & After

Welcome to part two of my portfolio tour! Once again, I love the transformation we were able to achieve in this space, and would love to share a bit of the process. Next up, we're taking a look at a living room + home office combo in the the same home as yesterday's master bedroom feature, a modern condo in downtown San Francisco.


Let's start at the beginning. Those windows (below) are awesome... and also posed some challenges! Similar to the bedroom, my clients were looking for a more efficient use of the space, better storage solutions and a more cohesive look and feel. These 'before' shots were actually taken after I had started pushing around furniture, playing around with the layout. I realize it may seem counter-intuitive to place the tall piano in front of a window, but it made the most sense with the overall needs/plan/space. One of their goals was to carve out a small desk/work space. The spaces that you see in these photos are also open to the kitchen and hallway, and I felt strongly that some subtle definition was needed, in terms of carving out separate 'rooms.' 


We used the light blue sofa (which they owned already) as a casual room divider, separating the 'office' from the living space. The new, larger, area rug really helps with this as well. It draws you in to this cozy area... makes you want to pull up your feet and stay awhile. The space itself is not large and there's a lot going on in the bordering spaces. Also, the angles of the windows as well as pillars in two corners (to the left of the desk and the chaise) made the overall space feel a little choppy, and furniture layout was a bit tricky. The odd shape was another reason I felt the need to square-off this 'room.' So, here's what we did!






The two photos above show the separate office area behind the sofa. We kept a consistent color scheme throughout the open space, which is pretty unusual for me! But again, with so much going on in a small space, I knew some uniformity would go a long way. The desk was a Craigslist find - one of my favorites ever. I love that piece. Given the lack of square footage, we added some storage to the walls with the floating shelves. I found the sideboard storage cabinet at a thrift store.


The framed art pieces above the desk are not totally consistent in size, but it works and is worth it! They're framed letters written by their eight year old daughter, and are ridiculously precious, hilarious and sweet!


Thanks again for tagging along on this little tour. You're welcome to visit my Portfolio page to see many more photos of the space, if you're curious!

photos by Ruth Sonza of Tris Photography

If you're interested in working together to make your home a place you love, contact me for more info: katiegaviganinteriors@gmail.com. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous space! love the way you divided the spaces...so smart. and, i also love the mix of new and old pieces. so pretty. keep the pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love it so much! You totally outdid yourself. Love how bright and happy it feels!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I appreciate you!